Find a Person

A Grand Trunk employee, William B. Platts came in 1924-1930 as a summer resident. Then, the house was winterized and the family moved in permanently.  Member of the Beaconsfield Citizens’ Association, the Country Club …

_____

A decorator, James Roker came to Canada in 1906 and to Beaurepaire in 1920, till 1925 as a summer resident and then became a year-round one.  He and Kennedy Crone were instrumental in getting the Chaffee’s house, corner of Pine and Fieldfare, to be used as a school before the Protestant school was built in 1924 at the corner of Church and Fieldfare.  Mrs Winnifred Roker-Downs said her father convinced his wife to try staying for a winter. If she liked it, they would become permanent residents and they did, but she had conditions: such as the building of a school …

_____

William E. Taylor (    -1950)

William E. Taylor came as summer resident c1904 and lived at 15 Woodland, where the Crescent Fish and Game Club was from 1890s to c1904. When he became a permanent resident, he moved on St Louis Avenue.

_____

Albert Thorpe (1889-1974)

Born in Montreal, Albert Thorpe accompanied his grandfather who worked as a gardener in Beaurepaire for a Montreal family. He made his mind that one day he would move to Beaurepaire.  A founding member of the Beaconsfield Citizens’ Association, he was very active in the community. He was the founder of the Bearcat hockey team. A soldier in WW1, he was with the Victoria Rifles and Grenadier Guard Regiment. Dorothy Thorpe, his wife, was a war bride.

_____

Stephen Walsh (1885-1974)

Stephen Walsh came from Newfoundland to Beaurepaire c1923 where he built his residence. He worked for CPR, MLHP and was a boiler inspector for the Province of Quebec. He was a very generous and kind person.  During the Depression, many hobos were attracted to the train station and they seemed to find their way to the Walsh, who fed them. Stephen-Walsh street is near where his house was on Lakeview Boulevard.

_____

P. Roy Wilson (1900-2001)

RoyPWilsonz 1

Born in England in 1900, graduated in architecture at McGill University in 1924, P. Roy Wilson came to be an internationally renowned architect, author, artist, illustrator and teacher.
He became Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1928 and was elected, in 1938, Associate of the Royal Canadian Academy in Architecture and in 1964, Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. As a renowned watercolour artist, his works number more than 1300 primarily featuring buildings. Some of these works can be found in Montreal’s Chateau Dufresne, McGill University and in the private collections of many admirers. Oil was his media of choice in the paintings of ships.
His artistic talents extended to the writing of several published books including; "The Beautiful Old Houses of Quebec", “Design and Delight” (autobiography), “Dorval 1667-1975 : The Story of Dorval in Pictures and Words”, “Rhymes and Rhetoric” and several magazine articles. His self proclaimed titles included “Lecturer, Teacher, Historian, Etcher, Model-maker, Calligrapher, Modeller, Carver, Poet, Librettist, Singer, Director, Sailor, Ski-instructor, Boat-builder, Inventor, Marksman and Traveler.”
P. Roy Wilson designed his beloved house and studio at 1 Woodland Avenue in 1951 (demolished 2010) and the nearby Beaurepaire Christ Church in 1962. Through his career as an internationally renowned architect, he put his mark on about 200 buildings. His illustrations of specific old buildings were used for logos by several historical societies and are still being used by The Canadian Heritage of Quebec and by our own society, Société historique Beaurepaire-Beaconsfield Historical Society. He retired from the architecture practice in 1968 but continued with many interests. His influence was wide reaching. In 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth made a Canadian Tour. For that occasion, Roy Wilson made a hand painted drawing of a pictorial map of Historic Montreal and sent it to the Royal Train and for which he received official acknowledgment. In 1989, 50 years after this first visit, he sent another copy to Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, during her second trip to Canada and within a week, received a most gracious acknowledgement and thanks. A copy of this map can be found in his book “Design and Delight” published in 1989.
He was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal in 1977. In celebration of Mr. Wilson’s 101st birthday, the McGill School of Architecture hosted an exhibition of his watercolours.
P. Roy Wilson has made innumerable contributions to the city of Beaconsfield and to the Société historique Beaurepaire-Beaconsfield Historical Society as a past director, and we thank him.

_____

Thomas C. Wilson (    -1941)

Thomas C. Wilson emigrated from Scotland in 1911 and came to Beaurepaire in 1924. He worked for National Breweries. Soldier in WW1, he was member of the Black Watch.

_____